Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rip it up

The verdict is in. I need surgery on my knee. Words can not explain the joy this brings me....wait there is..aww balls. That's what i said on the way out. Not What the fuck or this sucks. Just balls.
I went for the initial visit, then went for a M.R.I.. I had a follow up yesterday. All hopes I had of a quick tune up and I'm on the road again, gone.
 The diagnosis? I don't remember the exact terms so I'll lay it out the best I can, relying on wikipedia for the most part.
 I have a torn ACL. Worst this doc has seen in a long time.So he says. There are some other ligaments that are gone. Where they are I'm not sure. With me so far?
Meniscus...yeah well that's a mess. One side is torn pretty bad and the other side (interior) is missing a piece. I'm no expert here but i don't think that is a good thing.
 Anterior cruciate ligament...yeah that's not around either. Oh did i mention the fluid? No? Well then......
there is so much fluid in my knee he was surprised I was walking. Bone bruising too, I forgot that one.
Options are,
ACL reconstruction with a bone-patellar-tendon-bone autograft
ACL reconstruction with a semitendinosis- and/or gracilis-tendon autograft.
Allograft reconstruction of the ACL
 Sweet! Recovery time on each is 4 to 6 to 8 months. Oh fucking joy...just in time for the summer. Wakeboard....negative. Skateboard...negative. Bike...negative. Work...negative, but I'm unemployed anyway so....
 I should be worried about getting back to work so I can support my family, and I am. But..........
Really I want to get back skating as hard as possible, the same fury that got me in this position in the first place. That and my career choice is less than nice to the body.
Maybe I'll end up with a gnarly scar.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Yikes! Are you professional skateboarder or is that just a hobby? How exactly did you injure yourself so badly..or maybe I just haven't read enough.