Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The land of opportunity part 2

Well, I think what brought this about for me is a comment i made. A fellow blogger posted a question in the forum. He was in need of some advice. His situation is not something that i am currently dealing with but,  it did make me think: i should take my own advice.
 I told him to "harness the time he does have".
I tend to procrastinate a little, and push things right to the deadline. I'm not saying that i waste time totally and completely.(ok maybe when arguing with trolls). Some of you know my work situation or lack there of. I have, and continue to make a  valiant effort at finding a job. I have made constructive use of my time on this, but what I'm really talking about here is the rest of the time. I do not fit in a box, and I have always nodded my head to a different beat. This makes the traditional 9-5 a little difficult. Unfortunately the reality for me right now is, i need to do something.
 At almost four months into being jobless I'm feeling like i could be pursing more. Other avenues. Things I have not had the time to do. Creativity is a gift not to be wasted. I feel that sometimes i waste this gift and , the opportunity it could present. Instead on searching high and low for a mind numbing, nothing job, why not use this time to discover what i can do on my own. What i have already done on my own....... "harness the time he does have".
 I left a pot of water boiling on the stove. I forgot about it. The water was boiling down. What was it boiling down too?
Money.
Really???
 The almighty dollar. Now listen i like money as much as the next person. In fact i would love to have pots of it boiling down all over my kitchen. I however do not.
 The fact that i have 5 children and , a beautiful fiance to support leaves my thoughts really conflicted on all of this. I would love to start a business. My own business. On a shoe string. Ground up. With a large family like mine that does present a bit of apprehensiveness. Maybe its fear. Fear that has been crammed down our throats by society. You can't do that. How are you going to do that? Just get a real job. It takes money to make money.........
 Maybe the current state of the U.S. is the opportunity. The real  opportunity.

5 comments:

PCDee said...

Nice posts... these past few years have been difficult for so many people - that taking risks seems like an assanine idea. I disagree.
Sounds like you are well versed at running your own shop and so why the hell not open a coffee/skater shop?

:)

Starts with one said...

Yes the last few years have been crazy. i have been divorced, gained full time custody of 3 kids, fell in love with a long time love; that landed me with 2 more kids....never mind the financial roller coaster....so yes take a few risks.Why not? i don't think i could be much worse than the current situation. Financial that is.

I enjoy your blog very much. The parenting classes,i don't even want to start!

Starts with one said...

Well, start talking of them, i long since completed that mandated hell.

Miss Snooky said...

Hi, this is actually the first time I have visited your blog but I am in a similar boat to you. Granted I don't have kids or a fiance but I do know the fear of trying to start your own buisness. I would love to start my own online store for the art that I make but like you say there is fear. When I tell people what I want to do they often say I should just get a real job and to not waste my time on something that has a high chance of failure. If you do one day open your own buisness I wish you the best of luck!

Starts with one said...

Thank you, i know what your saying.trust me.